Remember the good times rolling with the 2022 Boston Bruins?
Well that came to a screeching, ugly stop on Tuesday night against the Carolina Hurricanes, as the Bruins put together their worst performance of the season in a 7-1 loss. The ugly defeat came on the night where the Bruins raised Willie O’Ree’s No. 22 in the rafters in the TD Garden.
The Hurricanes potted five goals in the opening period on their way to their second victory over the Bruins this season.
The loss snapped a five-game winning streak for Boston, as the team’s record dropped to 22-12-2. Carolina improved to 26-8-2.
We’ll keep most of these highlights simple.
The Hurricanes opened the scoring with two goals less than 2:30 apart to start the game.
The Bruins got one the board with a Patrice Bergeron power play goal to cut the lead to two.
But Carolina scored 13 seconds later. And then twice in less than 30 seconds later in the frame.
5-1 Hurricanes after one. Easily the worst period of hockey by the Bruins this season.
No scoring in the second.
Hurricanes added two more in the third.
7-1 the final. *Insert throwing up emoji here*
- What the hell was that. Honestly. What the hell was that. Defense? Non-existent. Breakouts? Never heard of them. Turnovers? Plenty.
- The defense was the biggest problem. No one had a good night. You know it’s bad when you’re shaking your head at Brandon Carlo decisions. The defense remains an issue for the Bruins. Connor Clifton shouldn’t be in the lineup every night. Can’t be for this team to be successful. Derek Forbort ain’t it. Shouldn’t be in the lineup every night
- I don’t think Boston can afford to wait until the trade deadline, which is near the end of March, to make a move. Games are gong to be played in February so it’s less games happening after the deadline. Get someone to help out ASAP
- This is NOT ON TUUKKA. Just tell me either a. you don’t know hockey or b. you have an irrational hate for Rask. What one of those goals was his fault? The one where Kotkaniemi was left wide open in front? The one that deflected right in front of him? The one where Clifton just let Jarvis cut right to the night? Ullmark going in for Rask was more indicative of the team needing a spark than Rask’s performance
- You thought Boston was an elite team? Nope. Carolina is. They come at you in waves, have a ton of skill, can play the physical game if need be and have excellent goaltending. THAT’S an elite team
- Really nice ceremony before the game for Willie O’Ree. I think every team should retire No. 22. He’s basically the Jackie Robinson of the NHL. Congrats to O’Ree and thank you for everything you’ve done for the game of hockey
OK so what now?
Philadelphia Eagles QB Jalen Hurts had a great quote earlier this season after a blowout loss to the Dallas Cowboys: “You take you a deuce, you don’t sit there and look at it. You flush it and move on. We gonna flush it and move on.”
Yeah that sounds about right. You forget about this one and focus on Thursday. Get back in the win column and put this loss behind you.